Software installed or to be installed on my LaptopComputer. Things that work!
I use XP's builtin, but ZoneAlarm or Kerio (or Tiny Personal) firewall might give more control.
gvim -- common text editor for all platforms
WinZip -- I've been a registered user since version 2.0
Cygwin -- unix command-line tools
- adjust home directory
- softlink c:/bin to ~/bin (availability under bash)
- add c:\bin to Windows path (availability under command.com)
- add softlinks in c:/bin to needed commands or add c:\cygwin\bin to the Windows path (availability under command.com)
Command Prompt Here -- Windows Explorer context menu choice
PuTTY -- SSH and related tools
PDFCreator -- a print driver to create PDFs from any program.
Firefox web browser
Thunderbird email client
OpenOffice word processing, spreadsheet, etc.
RubyGems is included in the one-click installer, above.
- gem install rails --include-dependencies
- Shoot 'n' Share for albums, slideshows -- XP isn't terrible, itself.
Pixid WhiteboardPhoto for capturing written information.
CDex for ripping MP3s
Audacity for recording and editing audio
Other things that need to be done
Password: Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change an Account -> Change my Password